Property Taxation

  • Taxation Process
Assessed/Appraised values are established as of January 1 of the assessment year. The first payment of property taxes based on that year's assessment will become due and payable September of the following calendar year or 18 months later.

The "roll back" is the percentage of actual value that is determined by the Director of Revenue each year on the individual classes of property where the total statewide value increase for a specific class, exceeds the allowable growth specified in the Code of Iowa for each class of property. The percentage determined by the Director of Revenue is certified to and applied by the local county auditor to all property in each class affected throughout the State. Percentages determined by the Director of Revenue and Finance are the same for all the assessing jurisdictions in the state.

Increases in assessed value of individual parcels of property as determined by the Assessor, may exceed the allowable growth specified in the Code of Iowa within a jurisdiction.

Agricultural property, except agricultural dwellings, are assessed on the basis of productivity and net earning capacity using a 5-year crop average and capitalized at a rate set by the Legislature. The rate is currently 7%. Tentative and final equalization orders are issued by the Director of Revenue and Finance in odd numbered years on or about August 15, and October 1 respectively. The orders are sent to the various county auditors who apply them to the classes of property affected, if any.

Assessors and members of the Board of Review are appointed to their terms of office. Assessors, in addition to completing the required 150 hours of continuing education, must be approved by a majority vote of the Conference Board in order to be re-appointed.

Questions concerning property values or other information relating to the functions of the Assessor’s Office should be addressed to the Assessor’s Office and not the Board of Supervisors or Treasurer.

Questions relating to property taxes should be addressed to the Muscatine County Treasurer.